Look Around

Sunday, September 09, 2007

May She Rest in Peace

Friends, I don't know how I missed this news earlier, but a dear childhood heroine of mine passed away late last week, Madeleine L'Engle.

Her books carried me through adolescence and my own well loved, well worn copies sit on the shelf in my daughter's room. I read them countless times.

A few years ago when a dear friend struggled with the grief of losing a beloved grandparent, I wrote to her about having recently reread A Ring of Endless Light and quoted from it. She wrote back that she had run out and decided to reread it as well and it was a balm for her soul.

I love that even now, as an adult, I can pick up a Wrinkle in Time and be transported with Meg and Charles as they search for their father. As an adult, her novel Certain Women is one of my favorite books. She has written so many wonderful books! All rooted in her Christian faith, all with something to teach me about fortitude, loyalty, love and family.

Madeleine, we will miss you. Thank you for the treasures you left behind.

No comments: