Look Around

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Where I Knit My First Garment


About 17 years ago I taught myself how to crochet. I was amazed how quickly I picked it up and how much I loved it. But it seems it is in my blood. My grandmother (on my mother's side) crochets. She still does, in her 80's creating beautiful and intricate lace placemats and whole tablecloths. 
About 3 or 4 years ago I taught myself how to knit. The internet is really amzing. Everything I needed to know was right there. I love knitting. But I am lazy and generally hate following patterns (this was true of crocheting as well) so I have never knitted or crocheted more than scarves, blankets and the occasional hat (actually I have only crocheted hats).

So, here I am, working my first garment. This is yarn I had on hand, an acrylic that I got at the local craft store, leftover from a crochet project years ago. I *think* it is worsted weight. I am using size 8, 24 inch circular needles. I am so very lazy, I could care less about the specific sizing this time around since I figure it will fit the baby at some point. Didn't bother with a swatch. Lazy, remember? I could probably do with a slightly longer cable, but I don't have one and well, on top of being lazy I am also cheap frugal.

Check out the custom stitch markers ;)
 So far so good, I think...I hope. I was surprised how quickly I was able to work these first 10 rows.

No comments: