Look Around

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Nearly Christmas Daybook

Right now...kids are getting breakfast. I woke very early and was able to do the Office and Morning Prayer right from my bed (thank you itouch). Johnny woke up soon after and I snuggled with him. As he pressed his little warm body next to me, all I could think was how he was worth every minute of illness I went through 2 years ago.

In a little while...more holiday baking begins! Lots planned for today. And a dinner with friends in the evening. The crockpot is my friend.

This week...Heh, Christmas! Christmas Eve will have at the early mass (Lilly is singing) and then dinner and celebration at my parent's house. We have SO much to celebrate this year. 
On December 11, my father had a mild heart attack. It was a shock and very frightening. But modern medicine is truly a miracle and he was home within a few days and better than ever. There is so much more I could tell you about it all, and maybe I will, but not here.
On December 19 my sister welcomed her third child, Martin Andres. He is adorable (of course). I miss her and her family more than ever.
Christmas morning is breakfast at Dave's cousin's house. 
We'll come home and open presents and have a quiet dinner at home.
Sunday we celebrate Johnny's 2nd birthday! I can hardly believe it. We will also possibly be at the beginnings of a blizzard in our area.
There's more fun and celebrations next week too. But I'll tell you about them next week.

I am grateful for...my father, my sister and little Martin, my dear children, friends who support me in prayer, good health for everyone in my family, my husband...oh I could go on and on. I think reading this book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are is affecting me in the best way possible. Its available for Kindle instantly, right now. And so is Elizabeth's book, Small Steps for Catholic Moms. I'll tell you a secret. I have a print copy. Its dear to me, but I'm getting the Kindle copy too. Seems to me that a daily devotional is a near perfect format for the Kindle. It always know right where you left off and I can add my own thoughts as notes and almost create myself a little e-journal. Oh, I'm grateful for Elizabeth and Ann too :)

Praying for...this would be nearly identical to the list above.

Living the Liturgy...I love love love how my parish decorates for Christmas. Every year it takes my breath away when I walk in. Lilly will be soloing a verse of Silent Night in Spanish tomorrow night. I'm sure I will be a weepy mess. This is one of my father's favorites. Just typing this right now, I'm overcome with emotion. Deep breath. God is good.

From the kitchen...cookies, cookies, cookies. I always feel spoiled this time of year. I'm not responsible for any major holiday cooking. Even dinner for our friends tonight is a casual affair and they're bringing dessert. So I get to have fun and be creative. Here's the list:

Lemon Orange Anise biscotti and Almond biscotti  (both these recipes use canola oil and mostly egg whites, so they are heart healthy)
Meringues and cocoa meringues (again, heart healthy)
Lemon Ricotta cookies (Lilly baked these, oh my, are they ever delicious)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies (I changed up the recipe, made the dough all chocolate and used the candy cane kisses instead)
Alfajores (a Peruvian cookie, a special request from Dave's cousin)
and depending on how things go today I also feel like making some kind of gingersnap. We'll see.

Around the house...not too bad, if I pretend not to see all the laundry that needs to be done. I feel like I'm in a constant battle to keep "stuff" from accumulating in piles all over the house. In a few days we'll be adding in all new "stuff". Oh well.

Johnny...loves Batman. And basketball. He is all boy. He's learned to say me and mine in the past few weeks. And "I poop".

I'm finding it hard to believe that I'll be updating about another baby in a few months. For now, everything is going great. I'm feeling good, if not suddenly much bigger and everything medically is normal. We like normal.

No comments: