Look Around

Monday, October 04, 2010

Daybook: Finally Feels Like Fall (And It Won't Stop Raining)

Right now...the calm before the storm. Or rather, the quiet before we tear into school for a bit. I should have spent some time last night planning, but I didn't.

In a little while...ballet. I'm thinking soccer will be canceled...again. Poor Carmen. This rain is messing with her season.

Later this week...more of the usual stuff. I'm trying to find a way to get Maddy to a new teen girls' group at Church on Wednesday. It will be tricky, but I think it would so good for her. Praying the driving solution will be simple. Saturday we'll celebrate my niece's birthday. Kay will spend the night with her grandparents and go see a production of Rumpelstiltskin on Sunday.
I'm thinking...I really want a Kindle. Really. Really.

I'm reading...This is where I tell myself as soon as I get a Kindle, I'll be reading again like crazy. Right? Right?
I'm pondering...I've been thinking quite a bit about what it means to be a true Catholic witness in our country. Yes I am a geek, but this political season has me really considering how I express and live my political views, how those views are formed, in light of my faith. I've always firmly believed that I am called to witness to Truth, but what I'm totally rethinking is the how. I don't want to be "right". Opinions are one thing. But changing someone's heart is quite another, and much of it is in the hands of Christ. Knowing that is true, how effective can one really be with a bullhorn? Isn't the real power hidden, in quiet prayer and fasting?

In the schoolroom...a mess. The space that is. Sigh. I need more hours in the day. In the next 2 weeks every child in this house will shift into their Middle Ages study (except Lilly, isn't there always a kink in the plan?). Its just easier and I will feel less like my brain is going in 6 different directions.  But it means I'm reworking some plans. The netbook is my friend.

I am grateful...my grandmother has come up from Florida for an extended visit. God bless my mom and dad because she does need more care and attention these days and they have taken the responsibility on with their usual grace and generosity. My grandmother is so funny and witty. And she loves me. Lots. I can't wait to soak up this time with her.

Living the Liturgy...Today is St. Francis. (And a darling girl's birthday, Happy Birthday Karoline!). At Mass yesterday I had the opportunity to be blessed with a relic of St. Gianna Molla. It was one of her gloves. It was amazing to take it in my hand, knowing how she lived her life and gave it up for her child. Very special.

I'm praying...Many intentions, lots of moms and babies, my brother working very hard, my poor sister's stubborn ear infection, my other sister and her dear family.

In the kitchen...Simple recipes, family favorites, apple crisp, apple pie, pumpkin bread...I love fall.

Picture thought...

Aggie does her math work.


No comments: