Look Around

Monday, October 25, 2010

Almost November Daybook

Right now...little ones are finishing breakfast. We tend to start late in the mornings...too late for my taste. It means the big kids end up with a bunch of work in the afternoon. They grumble and complain. But they won't wake up quickly and get through breakfast and morning chores efficiently, no matter how hard I I try...until they "get it" I guess they'll keep working through the afternoon.

A little later...The Monday school routine might be a bit simpler than usual. We're going to have a special guest this week and that means deep cleaning the main floor. Looks like that school room is finally really getting cleaned. Then ballet, football, more ballet and then soccer. Somewhere in there I will get chili in the crockpot.
Later this week...On Wednesday, Abuelita (my grandmother) and my parents are coming over for lunch. We have a yummy soup and sandwich menu and pretty fall table to decorate. We can't wait. Thursday I see the doctor. Friday I'm taking the little kids to IHOP for free funny face pancakes while Kay is out for her birthday lunch with her grandparents. Saturday we have a soccer game, bouncy fun for a cousin's birthday and Carmen has another All-Star tryout. Sunday is Halloween (and I do not have single costume ready). And all the usual stuff this week.

I'm pondering...the value of silence. Our study of monks and monasteries and St. Benedict's Rule have me thinking generally and specifically about what I want the daily interactions in my home to look and sound like. 
I yell too much, way too much. 
How can I bring those monastery bells that frame the day in prayer into my home in a real way? I know I have all the "tools" I need in the Liturgy of the Hours, but how do I make them useful for my children? Its something I've been thinking about for a long time now. On Friday we joined the monks at Holy Cross Abbey for mid-day prayer. Their pace was slow and measured. They chanted. Time seemed to stand still. And yet, when it was all said and done, I was surprised to see it took less than 25 minutes.

Also, I'm thinking of changing this blog's name. Come next spring it will be really misnamed.
In the schoolroom...it will be clean by Wednesday! And generally, school is progressing nicely. I am ever so grateful for the counsel and sharing of ideas with a friend.

I am grateful...for lunch and shopping at Wegman's with Maddy. She's about to turn 16 and I'm not sure I can even find the words to express what a joy it is to be her mother. 
...my grandmother.
...my husband.

Living the Liturgy...we're preparing for  the Feast of All Saints.

I'm praying...for Uncle Tom.
...for 2 athletes to recover from injuries.
...for Carmen. She tried out for the All-Star team on Saturday. She's just turned 10, playing in a U12 Division. She's tiny and passionate. I know how badly she wants to make the team.

In the kitchen...simple meals, fall favorites.

Johnny...fascinated by skateboards. He picks up anything that might resemble a skateboard, plunks it down and the floor and "jumps" up on it. Then he tries some tricks. Cute but a little scary.
 

9 comments:

Jennifer S said...

Congratulations and God's blessings on all of you as you prepare to welcome a new little one into your beautiful family!!!

God Bless,
JENNIFER
White Oak, PA

Amy said...

I think "and now for nine" has a very nice ring to it! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Ooooh! (giggle- that was the understated announcement of the year, I do believe).

Congratulations!!!! :)

KC said...

Seriously understated! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

Joy said...

Oh my, how Elizabeth made me giggle. Congratulations to you, sweet Sarah! Rejoicing.

Unknown said...

hehehe, sneaky sneaky! :)

Anonymous said...

Much love to you and many St. Anne prayers dear friend! Is it okay if I pray that this baby has Kay's hair? I love that hair!

Kimberlee said...

Congratulations and many blessings to you and your family! Deo Gratias!!!