Look Around

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Ummm....No

I found a little book titled "The Children's Life of Christ" at the library in the sale corner. It was 25 cents. It was published in 1943, and looks to be first edition. I'm a sucker for old books, so I figured why not? Remember, 25 cents.

This morning I was reading through it. I did get the distinct impression that it was a protestant book. Still, it was charming narrative, very sweet. And then I came to this:
Jesus was an only child for a while, and then brothers and sisters were born in the little house at Nazareth. Jesus was the eldest, and he helped his mother to look after the smaller ones. He loved them, as he loved all children. He played with them, made little wooden toys for them in the carpenter's shop, and told them tales.
Hmm, "told them tales"? Yes, I can hear Our Lord now, "I'm God and you're not... Last one in is not the Son of the Most High!"
And it seems that none of his siblings followed Him to the foot of the cross because the author still has Jesus entrusting the care of His Mother to the apostle John. Odd.

Then there was this phrase from the scene of the Last Supper. I find this on even funnier because the author obviously had to lie outright about what the gospels say:
Then he told them that the broken bread and the red wine were like his body, which should be broken, and his blood which should be poured out.
Contrast with Luke 22:19-20:
And taking bread, he gave thanks and brake and gave to them, saying: This is my body, which is given for you. Do this for a commemoration of me.
In like manner, the chalice also, after he had supped, saying: This is the chalice, the new testament in my blood, which shall be shed for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strange book!