Look Around

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Share?

Pool days have begun!

There was much rejoicing today. We live across the street from the neighborhood pool so let's just say this has been a "difficult" week of waiting for the blessed day. We were the first ones there, waiting for the door to open precisely at 11 am. More on the swimming later.

I did want to relate my thoughts on something I observed today and get your thoughts. We have a small collection of "pool toys". Just some random little things, buckets, little plastic fish, boats. Nothing fancy. The little girls love them. Kay was busy playing away with her stuff when along came another little girl, who also had her little collection of stuff. But of course, she wanted Kay's stuff. Kay did not want to share. Here's the thing, it didn't bother me and I was shocked that I didn't feel inclined to run over and "make" her share. I mean, she has 6 siblings. In very real ways, her whole little life is about sharing in some way or another, be it her room, my attention, her toys, just about everything. She knows how to share. Remember, this other child had stuff to play with. Her mother saw that Kay was upset and redirected her, but not without commenting (loudly) to come play with her own things because "that little girl doesn't want to share." No, she doesn't, she's 3, it was the first day of the pool and she loves all her cool pool toys. And that was just fine with me.

One more thing. Apparently mama wearing a hat is very disturbing to the baby. Don't ask me how I know.

No comments: