Look Around

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Happy Birthday

I can hardly believe it! My Maddy is now 12 years old. She is not a little girl anymore. I can see the approach of womanhood in her body and demeanor. How will she handle it? Probably with the same wry humor she approaches everything. As I've begun to talk about what comes with growing up she just sighs as if to say "Oh, well, this is what comes next, I'm not thrilled about it, I'll just have to deal." You have to understand, she still wants new dolls for Christmas this year. Actually, that makes me really happy!

I was talking with Dave this morning about how we are getting ready to move into a new phase in our family life. We will now have the joys of teens and young adults along side babies and toddlers. I can't wait! I already am catching some of the joys when I see Kay's undying devotion to her "Addy". I'm not kidding, the other day Kay got hurt and ran past me to Maddy's arms to be comforted. And why not? Maddy is SO good to her. Maddy is such a good sister to all her siblings. I rely on her so much. Too much sometimes, to be perfectly honest. She is such a gift to us.
When I consider the "might-have-beens" and "what-ifs" around her conception and birth, I am overwhelmed. She started me and Dave on this wonderful path. I can't thank God enough for her.

No comments: