Look Around

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Chatting at the Pool

Our neighborhood pool is across the street which is only one of the wonderful things God brought is when he allowed us to have this home. So we have been enjoying this summer a great deal. The children have made MANY friends, as my children seem to do everywhere they go. I know they don't get this from me. In any case, I've also met and chatted with a few moms (and dads). Today I was talking to one lady that I've spoken to a few times. She mentioned that I was an inspiration to her, having 6 kids, one on the way and all that usual stuff, I seem so patient, blah blah... (For the record, she has 3 children; one in high school, a six year old and a four year old, and is not having any more children. She wears a bikini every time I see her and has abody to be envious of. She never messes her hair up by going under water.)
The thing is, I don't think I am very patient at all, in fact I am ashamed at how impatient I can be with my dear children. And I don't think there is anything in particular I do at the ppol that would leave the distinct impression that I am soooo patient. And let me add, that despite what this woman said, nothing she does leads me to believe that she is any less patient than me. So I'm stuck thinking that it must be something about the number of children I have that makes this woman admire me and some inner hidden strength or virtues, which I find a little silly. When moms of less children tell me they are so overwhelmed, how do I do it, I say, well, I am often overwhlemed too. I yell at the kids sometimes. I don't let people see the bedroom level of my house lest they be swallowed by laundry. The thing about having a large family is that you quickly stop striving for perfection. Fed, clothed, mostly bathed is the most to hope for some days. Why do I seem so patient? I think it has much more to do with the fact that my kids make me look good in public, but they know the real me at home.

No comments: