Look Around

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Overheard

On Friday night, Dave took the four big kids to Lilly's basketball party, while I got to stay with the littles. The cool thing about having 8 kids (and specifically 2 boys and 6 girls) is that we had the children evenly split and we each had 3 girls and 1 boy. Okay, so that's silly, but it made me smile.

Anyhow, as we were driving in the car Anna and Kay were conversing. They looked out the window and saw a particularly bright star and pointed it out to me. I caught a glimpse. I know enough about astronomy to know that it was likely a planet. I told them it was very bright and probably a planet. They chatted some more. Then they wanted to know which planet it was. I had to admit I didn't know. I told them their Abuelo would probably know. This impressed them greatly. But Anna, ever the skeptic, wanted to know how it was that Abuelo had come by such knowledge. I smiled, as I rememberd working on science fair projects (award-winning!) on quasars and Haley's comet. I remembered fondly my father's love of astronomy. I told the girls that Abuelo knew a lot about astronomy, about studying the stars and looking through telescopes. I told them he probably knew what planet that was and that he had probably looked at it through his telescope at some point. Well, now they were really impressed and Kay says,

"Wow, Abuelo is one smart old man."

Of course Anna didn't agree. Abuelo is not an "old man". Notice she did not counter the smart description :). But Kay offered evidence of Abuelo's beard and glasses. Ann countered with,

"Well, its not like he's a 100 years old yet."

And I smiled even more at the youth and hope of "yet".

No comments: