Look Around

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bearing Burdens

Come to me all you that labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you. Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: And you shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is sweet and my burden light. Matthew 11:28-30
I groaned quietly as I pulled the sling over my shoulder. My body protested. My back ached. My shoulders were sore. My mind felt the fog of night upon night of interrupted sleep. I contemplated the school books to be read, the laundry to be washed, children to be fed...each one weighing me down. Would I even be able to move through this day? My heart voiced and urgent plea, "Please, Lord give me strength." Christ's word flashed through the haze.

"Come to me...I will refresh you." Lord, have I come to you at the start of each day? Have I visited with you in the middle of the day to share success or ask forgiveness? Have I thanked you at the end of each day for a life full of blessings? Help me Lord, to come to you.

"Learn from me...I am meek, and humble of heart" Lord, not my plans but yours. Allow me to learn humility through the children and husband I serve.

"My yoke is sweet..." Yes, Lord, my sweet little son is sweet. A treasure beyond words.

"...and my burden light." Yes Lord, I know. All the dire possibilities when my son came into the world six weeks too early dissolved by his healthy cries. All the worry about his delicate immune system erased by a pediatrician's delight in his strong, healthy little body.

"You shall find rest for your soul." Amen

No comments: