Look Around

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

First Day of School

Yesterday was the first day of school. I was scared. Five different levels to teach this year. I somehow pulled my planning together and I think the plan will work. Check the other blog for more details.

The funniest thing that happened yesterday was R.J. the canary singing his heart out, loudly, in the middle of our afternoon read aloud.

It was also Carmen's first soccer practice of the season. Totally new team. I told Dave last night that my initial reaction was, "I don't like them." But I know a big part of that reaction is my natural shyness upset that I have to meet and get to know a bunch of new people. And the truth is that after a year with her other team, we really liked them. They all played together very well. And how long must your child play soccer before you feel like a "soccer mom"? Maybe I'm just not feeling it yet.

But I was very proud of her. Seeing the difference between her first soccer practice ever and yesterday was remarkable. She has learned so much. Best of all was seeing the confidence and ease with which she can handle the ball now, like its an extension of her foot.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Sounds like a fun day! I wanted to comment that I love the artwork at the top of your blog. So sweet!