Look Around

Friday, June 08, 2007

Nemesis

(Note: Names have been changed to protect the innocent, or um sort of innocent.)

Last year at the pool there was a pair of young sisters that were, well...a bit of a problem. Let's call them M and H. They often went to the pool with dad (a schoolteacher I think). Dad likes to read. He does catch the girls when they are particularly bad, especially if its loud, but usually blissfully reads his magazines or books, enjoying his chair by the pool. There were some "incidents" with my little girls last year, especially with M, the younger of the two.

They were at the pool yesterday. I had hopes that a year's worth of growing up would have a positive effect. Not so much. In fact, I think they're meaner. They're bossy and rude, even to adults. Yesterday as I helped Kay with something, Agnes fussed a bit from her stroller. I was informed by M that my baby was crying and I should go "do something about it". This kid is probably about five years old. I wouldn't mind it so much if I could figure out a way to help my little girls deal with it. Don't get me wrong. My kids are not perfect. Anna can be mean and annoying sometimes. They fight with each other. But there is something about the way this pair interacts that leaves my kids just staring in stunned silence. I think it may be that they seem to exude a massive sense of self-centeredness. That is, they are quite sure that the world revolves around them all the time. Everyone else is just here either to be commanded or please them. Which got me wondering what exactly life at home is like for these two.

No comments: