Look Around

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Lebanon's Tragedy

I know there are many people WAY smarter than I commenting and writing on the current conflict in Lebanon, so I won't pretend that I bring anything brilliant to the conversation. I only wish to mkae one point. First of all, shock that the U.S.A. would not support an immediate cease-fire. Here's the problem. As the death toll stands, Lebanese civilians are being killed in about a 10 to 1 ratio compared to Israeli civilians. Don't you think the Arab street is doing the math too? Do you really think that they don't think the U.S.A. puts less value in Lebanses lives by unquestionably supporting Israel's use of force instead of calling for and end to the killing on both sides? How can this do any good to their perceptions of American sensibilities?

No comments: