Look Around

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Change is in the air

It seems that there are some big changes in my diocese, the Diocese of Arlington.
First off, FINALLY the Bishop is allowing an Indult Mass. Sadly the only two locations allowed are in the farthest flung corners in either direction for us. I have my own troubled thoughts on why he chose these particular parishes. Right in Centreville is a very orthodox parish where I know the pastor has probably been begging for permission. This would have just as good a parish to allow it as Front Royal, which is literally on the edge of the diocese.
But this good news seems to come at a price. Along with this announcement, he will allow female altar servers as well. This is very sad. I know many wonderful young men that will be negatively affected by this news. I have five daughters. My oldest daughters have always thought it was very special when their male friends became altar servers. They recognize it as something uniquley suited to boys. They have never been resentful about it.
Now I need to decide what to do about my pledge to the Bishop's Lenten Appeal....

No comments: